Tuesday, September 20, 2016

SPIRIT PRISON. APPARENTLY August 6, 2016

Mis personas favoritos, como estas?

Well, I've survived the first three days of the KFC as basically every Elder called it as I was walking through with my host and bags to my dorm. It's seriously like a tidal wave of Spirit the second you walk through that gate, even after you just saw your family for the last time in two years. The coolest thing is seeing an army of white shirts walking around with a purpose and everyone saying something to you. The first Elder to say something to me, besides my host, said, "Welcome to Spirit Prison, Elder." I thought it was the funniest thing in the world. I'm so glad that people still have a sense of humor here because I would honestly die without it. 24/7 of straight focus and doctrine would be (pardon my French) hell.

On Wednesday, we went straight to class after we dropped off our bags. I met my companion for a brief second on the way into our dorm. His name is Elder McCord, and he's a super cool dude. (Blessed) He's 6'5" and I look like a freaking midget next to him, but he makes me look good on the court. All I do pass to him and he lays it in. As I walked up the stairs to my room, Elder Boud was standing right there! I was honestly so pumped to see a fellow Bingham man :) It seriously is like a 3 month Bingham reunion at the MTC, I see everyone. I never had my camera when I would see them though, so I apologize for the lack of pictures. More next week I promise! Anyway, we then went to class before our introduction with the MTC President, and our teacher, Hermano Harris spoke Spanish the entire time. I can already feel the three years of Spanish I took in school starting to make its way back into my head, so that's a major blessing. I'm still thee biggest Gringo though (next to Elder McCord.) After class, we had the big orientation with all the missionaries. They split us in half because we are one of the largest groups to ever enter the MTC on one day. They said something close to 900 missionaries! We sang hymns, listened to the President, and just kind of dorked around. I feel so bad for the ones who are missing home so much that they aren't even having any fun. I've honestly been enjoying every second so far and I'm so pumped to keep going! I ate dinner with Elder (Moose) Shoemaker and his Comp, so that was super cool! He's still as ugly as ever though ;) Later, we had some discussions with fake investigators with 40+ missionaries at a time. It's interesting to hear what some of these Elders try to teach. Some kid babbled on about the Twelve Tribes and how Joseph Smith is a direct descendant or something like that, and I am sure he lost the whole class haha. Keep it short and sweet Elders :)

Thursday, we had straight class most of the day. Lots and lots of Spanish. They focus on practicing and repetition which has helped a ton. I love learning here because I actually have a desire and care for what we are learning unlike in school! In the afternoon, we had a 2 hour class with an RM. I didn't care much for the class to be honest, but I met an Elder who was sitting behind me named Elder Smith. He just bore is testimony to me about Christ and it was honestly so awesome. Grateful for that! Later we had more class, then we met our Branch Presidency and ZLs. Elder Fankhauser is our DL and he went to Brighton. He knows Jake and Sydney Seamons, so shout out to you guys! After, we played some slamball in our dorm because Elder Lewis from Mesa brought one haha. Every time I see Elder Lorenzen in the halls or in a class, I tell him and his companions that he smells haha. 

Friday was super sweet! We had class in the morning then we had an hour for gym. On Fridays, the Spanish Zone plays the German Zone in a huge soccer game. No joke, 50 on 50 soccer. Just huge scrums of bodies and kicking. Whenever we have a corner kick, the German kids all yell "Set up the Berlin Wall!" or when they have the ball running down the field, they yell "Blitzkrieg!!". It's honestly so funny. We won 2-1 of course. Our ZL, Elder Horsely, scored both our goals. Ladies, this dude is a hunk haha! Every Sister Missionary is in love with him. He's honestly so sick though! Tender mercy of the day was finding Elder Shetlin and giving him a big missionary hug. Still the same ol' Jash! Later, Elder McCord and I taught our first lesson with our "investigator" Alberto. We did decent for our first full lesson in Spanish. That night, our whole district was in our classroom just doing personal and companion study. Elder McCord starting to feel really sick and cold, so he asked the ZL if he could head back early. Before we left, Elder Cruz said we should give him a blessing. McCord asked me to give it and it was super sweet! Our whole district felt the Spirit so strong :) 

Today we just have the temple and another lesson with Alberto. Good luck to us! I tried the cookies and cream chocolate milk and it is honestly garbage. It tastes like 20 packets of straight Swiss Miss with watered down milk. Shout out to you Tanner for that suggestion. :( 
Tomorrow we are getting a Bingham Pic with all the missionaries after the Character of Christ movie. I'll get some more pics next week, I promise :) Til then personas, be good. 

Elder Campbell


The Comp and I x2


I sleep on the ironing board every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment