Monday, September 26, 2016

LOVE FROM DOWN SOUTH September 26, 2016

Brayden's living quarters.  He's says it's the nicest in the mission and the biggest.




My beloved friends and family. Another week rolled on by, Hobbs and I are working like mules, and live couldn't be better! Hobbs is back in action after his little accident at the bus stop last week. I wish you could have seen my reaction when he passed out on that bench, bleeding all over. All fun and games here in Nicaragua! I'm learning so much about the culture and what it is like to live in a foreign country. EVERYTHING is different! These people live in thee humblest of conditions, yet are so kind and receptive. Most of the people we teach live in tiny tin shacks with dirt floors. Of course, they have their TVs with the baseball games playing and their smart phones and tablets (priorities). Funniest people! This week was awesome, I'm pumped to share about it. Shout out to my brother Jacob Hone, the big 27 this week! Couldn't ask for a better example in my life. AND, those twin boys, hittin' 6 months. Love them with all my heart :)

Tuesday, after out District Meeting, we headed on out to Sor Maria to get another week going. We talked to our locals and a few nuevos, then went on a trek to the higher parts of Sor Maria. We passed through a legit landfill and found a family that lives super close to it. Imagine teaching at the Jordan Landfill out by The Copper Mine 3 or 4 times a week. That is what this is. Flies everywhere, the smell is awful, and they just live happily. I tried to get a good picture, but lots of thugs hangout and sniff glue (hittin' that good rubber cement) up by the landfill, so I can't pull out my camera. 

On Wednesday, we went to a house of this 86 year old man named Fidel who has been a member for ages. We asked him if he wanted to become a Melchezidek Priesthood holder and he just blew up. I didn't understand anything, but Hobbs translated. "You boys are gonna come here and tell me I'm not going to church when I've gone longer than you've been alive? I fought in the war. Don't come tell me nothin' when I attend church every week." Haha good ol' Fidel with the machete. Picture of him below!

Thursday night, we were walking home from Sor Maria and tons of cops were running after a group of teenagers smoking Mary Jane. The cops only care about drugs here, ABSOLUTELY nothing else.

Friday I went on a split up to La Dalia to work with Elder Rodriguez for the day and night. La Dalia is an honest jungle, and I was pumped to go up! We didn't see any monkeys though :( It rained the entire night and we were super cold! Lovin' that Nica daily rain.

On Saturday, I came home! The buses here are thee most insane thing ever. People hop on at every stop and try selling you their homemade stuff. They all yell stuff in Spanish and shake it in your face. I like contacting on the buses though. Every person I talk to tells me they have no religion, then I say what church I represent and they tell me they are Catholic. Jerks ;) In Sor Maria, the power went out for like the 3rd time this week! Kind of sketchy walking around with zero light. 

Sunday, we only had 32 attend church. I was super bummed. The Evangelicals had some Bible celebration day, and tons of the members ditched our church for that. Sometimes I just want to slug Satan in the face. One of our investigators ditched church to go smoke some Mary Jane. We ran into him at the football field and he wasn't too happy to see us. Gosh dang Satan! Just those little things that get these people here. One of our investigators fed us Sunday night (I was nervous). The food turned out awesome and we had a sweet lesson!

I can't begin to tell you guys how awesome of an experience this has been so far! Already learning so many different things and how to really connect and work with people. The inward feelings are starting to disappear. I love it!

I hope you're enjoying fall! Watch General Conference this week thinking of me. I want to watch it in English SO bad! Jealously for sure. Much love for you all.

Elder Campbell

Scirptures:

Mosiah 4:27: "For it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. God only gives us what he knows we can handle!"
Jacob 3:1: "He will plead for your cause."
D&C 122:6-9: "A powerful little section for when you are struggling. Verse 8 is a thinker."
1 John 4:7-9: "Love :)"
2 Timothy 2:10-13: Endure all things for the elect's sake."

My tip for the week: "Try a little harder to be a little better." -GBH

Pictures:





1: Hittin' those cement weights (I can do like 3)

2: Elder Rod and Yo

3: Old man Fidel (not Castro)

4: Backpacking

6: The Men at Chile Picantes

5: Matagalpa! (zoom in on the cross at the top of the Mtn.)

No comments:

Post a Comment