Tuesday, September 20, 2016

T-MINUS 9 DAYS Septmeber 3, 2016

I've officially been a missionary for 1 full month. Basically the old man at the MTC now, even though I still look 16! It's funny talking to the missionaries who like they could have small families at home and giving them advice. Anyway, we had such an awesome week at the ol' Missionary Torture Center (that's what Sergio, our investigator, called it). I had to say goodbye to 2 of my beloved maestros this week, and it was honestly so hard. You grow to love your teachers, district, zone, etc. incredibly fast. It feels like you are leaving family for a second time. You spend literally every waking minute with your district, and we are honestly brothers! I'm loving every minute of this experience. I'm super stoked to hit the field though! Shout out to Elder Erickson, Lorenzen, Atkin, and Shetlin. Hope you fellas are loving every minute! Well, let's hit the juice of this week.

To begin, the flight plans arrived yesterday! We leave the MTC at 3:50 AM on Sept. 12th to head up to SL International. Our flight leaves around 8:20, then we arrive in Atlanta at 2:30 ET time. After a 4 hour layover, we hop on a plane and head to Managua! I'll be in Nicaragua around 7:45 MT time. (Nicaragua and Utah are in the same time zone, convenient eh?) Wish me luck!

On Sunday night, we had the opportunity to watch the new Joseph Smith/Whitmer Farm short movies that they ONLY show at the Whiter Farm historic site and the Kirtland Temple (I think). They were honestly amazing. The first was told from the point of Oliver Cowdry. It showed how much he had to have to be the scribe for Joseph Smith during the translation. They brought the Spirit so strong! If there is anyway you have the opportunity to view these movies, do it! My testimony of Joseph Smith has grown so much since I've been here. The amount of respect I have for what he did and went through is indescribable.

Monday was just another work day, full of studies. Tuesday was awesome though! Richard J. Maynes from the Presidency of the 70 spoke to us and delivered an awesome message about the First Vision and how important it is for us to be literal instruments in the hands of God. But, the best part of Tuesday came after in our weekly District Meeting after the devotional. All the boys shared awesome testimonies and the Spirit was so strong. Elder Lewis said thee coolest thing. He said, "Satan wants nothing more than missionaries to fail. Don't let him, Elders. Be the missionary that Satan literally says, 'Oh crap, he's awake' when you wake up in the morning." AH, that got me so pumped. I want nothing more for that to be how Satan thinks when I get up in the morning. Inspiration for sure!

Wednesday, Elder McCord and I had one of our final lessons with Sergio. I've grown to love him so much! He's the coolest dude. He loves to talk about sports and Mexico haha. He's also a semi-pro videogamer (goals). He has a tournament in Las Vegas today, playing some Black Ops. Hopefully he takes home the cash prize of $2,000 :) Every time we testify about Jesus Christ with him, the Spirit just takes the lesson over. I've honestly seen such a change in Sergio. That's the reason I'm on a mission. I want to literally save souls and let them get a taste of the happiness that I've felt through Jesus Christ. (Alma 36)

Thursday we had a Skype TRC with a lady from Canada. It was fun talking to actual members from outside the country. Another companionship had some homie from Nicaragua, I was super jealous! Anytime I need a little break from study or TALL (our online language study program) I pull up a talk or the Bible Videos of the Life of Christ and watch one of them. The Church did an amazing job with them. My favorite is the 'Feed my Sheep' one. I always plug in my name when Christ says "Simon, Son of Jonas, lovest thou me?" Definitely super powerful! :) One of my favorite sayings that I've told the other Elders in my district/zone is "That we literally walk with Christ." Gives me chills!

Friday night, one of the coolest things happened. I was just writing random stuff on the whiteboard and erasing it while McCord was grabbing some stuff off his desk so we could go study outside. A few other Elders were in the room when we came in. Before we left, I wrote John 14:27 on the board, for a reason that I cannot explain, then left and didn't erase it. Later, when we came back, Elder Jorgensen, with tears in his eyes, gave me the biggest hug. He said that scripture literally gave him so much comfort and saved him. He said he has been thinking of going home because he is scared for Argentina and he didn't think he could do this. What a moment that was for me. I cannot explain the feeling I felt. Pure joy, honestly.

Another week concluded. I hate how fast time is moving. I am so grateful for my teachers for helping become closer to the Savior and help me learn the beautiful Spanish language. 

Hermano Myers gave us some cool last words of advice."Are you willing to put it all in for God? Don't make excuses, ever. That's what Satan wants. Satan wants you to be tired. He wants you doze off and not pay attention. He wants you to think of home. It's up to you, Elders, how much you let him in. Remember, God walks with you wherever you go. Yo quiero ustedes." 
This man changed my life. :) A picture of him is below! 

Keep being good and remember the 2nd great commandment! 'Love your neighbor as thyself.'

Love and miss you all so much!

Elder Campbell

Scriptures:
2 Corinthians 7:9-10  "For Godly Sorrow worketh repentance."
1 Corinthians 13:1-2  "Paul's words describe perfectly what missionary work is all about. THE PEOPLE"
D&C 58:42-43 
Alma 34:32  "This life is a time for men to prepare to meet God."
Alma 40:11-12  "This passage is for all of you who have a loved one pass away. Know they are home, resting with our Beloved Father."
Moses 1:21  "Utilize the power of Jesus Christ."
Pictures:

1) The boys and Hermano Harris. Good luck my man at your wedding! :)

2) Orto vez con Hermano Harris

3) The man himself, Hermano Myers. Definitely a man of God!

4) Companionship Luv

5) THE PLANS

6) Crackin' Dews with my boy, Buck. We're like best bros haha! He's from Ogden, going to Bahia Blanca, Argentina

No comments:

Post a Comment